Thursday, September 02, 2010

August Totals

Not really training for anything, so this is really a filler post.  lolz.  Well, scratch that.  I am technically training for the Houston Marathon, but looking at my training calendar, I realized there was only one week where I ran all 3 of my weekly runs.  Most weeks I only got in 2 runs a week.  Maybe I'll do better this month....

Bike: 3h 42m 23s - 60 Mi

Run: 8h 33m 48s - 44.54 Mi
Swim: 9h 31m 13s - 24578.08 Yd
Yoga: 3h 00m

 

Analysis: bike was much lower, but that's because I've intentionally not been riding it much.  And July had a century ride.  Run was slightly higher, and that was including bailing on 2 long runs because of race conflicts, and I missed another long run for vacation.  I'll consider that a success.  Swim yardage was higher, which is interesting since I took a week vacation.  I suppose all things considered, August was a pretty decent training but not-really-training month.

Review of August Goals
  • Still going for the "take it easy and have fun" with some modifications. goal achieved!
  • Start marathon training. I signed up for Kenyan way and I have my schedule for the month. I can't follow it completely due to some race conflicts but overall it seems manageable. I think I'm on target with this goal.
  • Lazy-Hazy 5k (my last race for Team JambaJuice). I'm hesitant to put a time goal down because of the heat, but during the last 5k I walked for 30 seconds at the last water station. If I didn't walk, I would have finished in under 31 minutes. Granted, I still had a PR that day, but I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't gut it out more. Its only 3 miles. I should have sucked it up more. Goal for this race is no walking unless puking is imminent. My time was slower than the last 5k I did, but I stayed true to my goal and did not walk.  I attribute the slower time (nearly a minute) to the fact that it was WAY HOTTER.  Like I had no buisness running a 5k kind of hot. 
  • TriGirl Sprint Triathlon. This will be my first "repeat" triathlon and it will be interesting to see if I've improved. Last year I finished in 1:16. Granted, I haven't been training for sprints AT ALL. And really, I've barely touched my bike. But I would be very happy if I could beat my time from last year, just knowing that my overall fitness and mental toughness have improved since last year. Didn't beat my time, but I think that's because distances were different (swim, especially) and the bike course had more 90-degree turns.  My overall rannkings (age group and overall) were better, so this is probably a better way to evaluate improvement. 
  • Slowly break in my Newtons. Its very tempting to rush it, but I'm going to be responsible and break them in properly so I don't get injured. I'm staying on plan.  Currently up to running 3 miles in the Newtons.  I really really like them :)
September Goals
I'm actually not going to do goals this month, because so many things are up in the air.  I pretty much have the first 2 weeks of September where I know I can stay on schedule and the rest of it is chaos.  Two weeks of babysitting a boat in a refinery has a way of doing that to you.  October looks even crazier, and don't even get me started on this fall and winter. 

So I guess my goal for September is to enjoy the calm before the storm.  Because really, the next 6 months ahead of me are looking really insane (but in a way where things will all be better when we come out the other side).  How's that for vague and ominous?

No comments: