Coconut Ice Cream Base
2 cans coconut milk (I used full fat, makes it more creamy)
4 egg yolks
~1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar (to taste)
~2 T vanilla (to taste)
Ice Cream Directions:
- In a medium pan, heat the coconut milk to nearly boiling and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks. Once coconut milk is hot, VERY SLOWLY add it to the yolks, stirring the whole time. This is called tempering the eggs, so you bring the yolks up to temperature. If you just dumped the yolks in the hot milk, you'd get scrambled eggs. Slowly add the milk until the yolks are pretty warm (~1/2 to 3/4 cup milk).
- When warm enough, slowly dump tempered yolks into the saucepan of coconut milk, stirring quickly.
- Simmer mixture until its thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add sugar to taste and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla to taste. You could also use almond extract or whatever you have on hand.
- Put in fridge or freezer to chill before placing in ice cream mixer. You want the custard nice and cold.
- Mix for ~25 mintues.
rhubarb - whatever you have on hand
sugar (to taste)
optional: fruit flavored alcohol. I used Bacardi Torched Cherry Rum. (also to taste)
Rhubarb Puree Directions:
- In a sauce pan, add rhubarb pieces (cut into ~1 inch chunks) and just enough water to barely cover it. Simmer for 20 min or until very soft.
- Once soft, add sugar and rum to taste.
- You can mash it with a potato masher but I put the mix in a blender.
- Also optional: straining in a sieve to remove any stringy pieces. I didn't do this and I thought it was ok.
- Chill well before adding to ice cream
- To add to ice cream, you can either dump it in when you start mixing (so it is fully incorporated) or you can add it in at the very end and attempt to make "ribbons". Your call.