Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Retrospective

On my way into work this morning, I realized that it was a year to the day since we left Houston and started our life here in Colorado.  Wow.

I would like to say that 2011 was everything I wanted it to be and more.  Say that it was an awesome year.  But I can't.  While we had some big highlights to the year, 2011 was one mostly marked by loss and drama.  I've never really had anyone or anything die on me before.  Nothing could have prepared me for losing 4 close souls this year.  I still can't really think about it much - it still hurts too much.

I would like to say that I have high hopes for 2012, but we have some more family health hurdles to get past.  Big, uncomfortable ones that will be drawn out and painful.  Lets just say that I'm hoping for a good 2013.

Some highlights have been:
  • 30 min PR at Texas 70.3, while taking it easy (thank you IMTX training)
  • IMTX (really, this is THE highlight of the year)
  • Exploring Colorado on my bike for IM training, even if I whined about it a lot.
  • Beer.  Lots of beer.  Probably too much beer.
  • Buying a great house in a town that we really love
  • Camping
  • Being able to spend time outdoors, pretty much anytime I want
Looking forward, some vague goals are:
  • Surviving the next few months getting Will's dad into assisted care (or nursing care).  This means dealing with Medicare/Medicaid, selling his house, blah blah blah blah.  More stuff then one should deal with when your dad is 68.
  • MOAR skiing.  This is of course dependent upon the ski areas getting some snow.  Its pathetic right now.
  • Getting stronger on the bike.  I got tired of getting my ass kicked on the hills here.
  • Enjoy training with a group.  My club is doing IM Kansas 70.3 as the club race.  Boise is the day before.  This means I have instant training buddies.
  • I would put a time goal down for Boise, but with the crazy weather, I know better.  Lets just say I want a stronger performance on the bike.
And really, I can't think past June at this point. 

No comments: