Here's a summary of my nutrition plan for IMTX. I'm a bit worried that this isn't 100% proven since its been so cold here, but there's nothing I can do about that.
- 3 hours before - Honey Stinger chocolate covered cherry protein bar, Coke Zero (my usual pre-race food).
- right before the swim - debating on sucking down a gel, just not sure. I've never done this before and I prefer to swim on an empty stomach, so I may just skip the gel.
- nothing - hard to eat/drink when you're in the water. And I am NOT drinking that nasty lake water.
- Water - I'll finish my aero bottle in the first hour, and use then I'll that for water. Plan is to get water at every aid station (every 10-12 miles).
- Hammer Gel - half a gel every 30 min starting 30 min into the bike. Keep this up as long as my stomach will handle it.
- I've got some Honey Stinger waffles and some PowerBar gels to try to eat if I get hungry. On my long rides, I would get a bit hungry but the gels would take care of things. Not sure how I'll feel during the IM, so I thought having some options would be helpful.
- Salt Stick tablets - 1 pill every 20 min (3 per hour). Want to get in 1,000 mg per HOUR of sodium.
- Concentrated Infinit mix in a hand-held bottle. Still not sure how much I want to concentrate it or if I want to re-fill at special needs. I think a 5 hour concentrate in a 12 oz bottle is RIDICULOUS so I may end up concentrating 2-3 hours (which is the mix I had for LoneStar) and see how I feel at special needs. I have a feeling with the heat, I won't feel like taking in all that many calories, and typically, I take in fewer calories running than I do cycling.
- WATER WATER WATER. ICE ICE ICE. at each aid station. I don't care how many bathroom breaks I make - I MUST stay hydrated.
- I think I'll try out Coke too. Haven't tried it in training, but I hear its a magical elixer.