Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Paleo Chocolate "Pudding"

Recipe Wednesday!  (not that this ever was a thing, or that I plan on doing this regularly, or on Wednesday)

I've been eating paleo/clean for nearly two years now and breakfast is probably one of the things I struggle with most.  I saw a few different "pudding" recipes on the interwebs and decided to give it a go.  Its a bit weird, but holy cow, it really tastes like pudding.  And its crammed full of tasty and good for you things.

But the best part - I ate a half serving on Sunday before my 1 hr long treadmill run.  Usually I can't eat anything other than a little fruit snack before a run because my stomach gets crabby.  I ate this about an hour before my run and I had zero issues.  Like "my stomach didn't even act like there was food in there" kind of zero issues.  Sweet.

As with most of my recipes, measurements are dynamic and approximate.  I rarely ever make this the same way twice.

Chocolate Coconut Paleo Pudding
Makes ~4 servings
Ingredients:
1 can coconut milk (I use the full fat kind.  mmmm, fat)
coffee (I don't always add this, and when I do, its left over stuff from that morning and I don't measure.)
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4-1/2 flax seeds
1/4 cup honey
pinch salt
1/4 c almond flour (I go back and forth on including this one)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chia seeds

Directions:
In a blender, mix up the coconut milk through almond flour until you feel that the flax seeds are broken up.  (I've read that you don't get any of the nutritional benefits of flax if they're whole, so I blend them).

Pour into large bowl or storage container.  Mix in chia seeds and shredded coconut.

Pour into eating receptacles (ie divide into 4 for servings or you can leave it in a big container and scoop out what you want later on)

Put in the fridge and let it chill overnight.  The chia seeds gel up and turn this into a pudding-like consistency.

No comments: