Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Distance Swim

Today we did one of my favorite swim sets today.
  • 12 min swim for distance (600 yards)
  • 6 min swim for distance (300 yards)
  • 4 x 3 min swim for distance fast (150 yards)
When I was younger, I used to *hate* swimming ladder sets, where you started at a low distance, and gradually built up. I hated distance swimming.

Now that I'm older, I have an appreciation for distance swimming. Of course, as I'm older now, I realize that I'm really not good at sprinting, which conversely gives me an appreciation for more slow, methodical, paced distance training. It also helps that coach has tweaked my stroke to make things more relaxed. I try to make my arms feel very loose and relaxed during each stroke - this in turn keeps my arms from getting tired (and worse, injured). I think its this relaxed deal that makes me able to just swim for what feels like forever. Because I don't get tired. Sure, I'm not fast. But my pace is consistent and steady. I just love that feeling - being able to swim forever - its just very freeing, and it makes me feel like I'm actually *good* at something, to boot.

No comments: