Sunday, September 24, 2006

Long time no blog (again)

I've had a head cold for two weeks and its kicked my ass. I've kinda gone into hermit mode. But I finally broke down and saw the doctor last Friday and am starting to feel mostly human....

Thought I'd give an update on what I've been up to....

Jewelry - worked a craft fair last month. Only sold $75 to strangers and then another ~$100 to friends. Not a stellar outing. I'm going to enter a different craft fair in October and see how that goes. And I haven't sold jack at that gym, so I'm thinking of pulling my stuff.

Swimming - haven't swam in 2 weeks due to this dang head cold. Hoping to swim with the new team tomorrow. I've entered a swim meet that's in 2 weeks, which is kind-of a joke, as I haven't done anything resembling fast swimming all summer long. I got pretty complacent this summer. Partially b/c I could only swim 2x a week and it was at the 50 m pool. And I was the leader of the slow lane, b/c well, I prefer to lead and make my own pace rather than be last in the fast lane and get my ass kicked. I know I did myself a disservice by doing this, b/c I had no one to push me into going faster. But it made me happier, so 'evs. I'm entering 100 IM, 100 free, 50 free, and 100 breastroke. Didn't put fast seed times. Hoping just to survive, mainly b/c I haven't done much of anything in the past 2 weeks.

Work - its mostly good. I don't hate the place, so that's a start. Trying to figure out politics, etc. Where I fit in in our office, how I can get ahead. My main problem is lack of diversity. See, we only have one project manager for the kind of work I do in our office. And she's got 26 projects open, which is about 15 too many. And she's the type that needs to know 100% of the details. While I understand the reasoning behind it, it still doesn't help me much, b/c she's the log jam on most of my work. Meaning, I end up waiting on her a LOT. And I was hired to help her out and relieve some of her work load, but frequently, I feel like I'm a gnat buzzing around her, rather than an asset. I need to diversify my project load (ie - get other sources of work). I've got one project out of our NOLA office and they LOVE me, so I'm hoping that will pay off. I did really good work for them last week, and they were very vocal in their appreciation of me. I told them that if they liked what I did, to keep me in mind for future stuff. They warned me about being careful of what I wished for - so I take this as a good sign. I don't have a lot of friends at work, which I'm ok with. Everyone is nice, but busy. And I'm pretty much over the whole needing to have friends at work thing, so its no biggie. As long as no one's stabbing me in the back and I like the kind of work I'm doing, its all good.

Fun things - did a pub crawl last Friday with my husband's friends. It was pretty crazy. Cheap tequilla shots, broken glass, Will's foot bleeding, me driving our drunk friend back to our house and making him spend the night. Good times. Next weekend I'm going to NOLA to hang out with my SIL and some other friends, so that should be a good time. Hoping I remember most of it....

That's honestly about it. I'm pretty lame, I know, but I'm hoping to have fun stories after next weekend.

No comments: