Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Procrastination

So, its Tuesday and we fly to Boise tomorrow.  This is my first time flying to a race and I know that I've got tons of stuff to pack and organize.  Take down my bike, pack it in the loaner hard case, pack my nutrition, pack my race stuff, pack 10 days worth of clothes.

Have I done any of this?

no.

Its not for lack of time.  Saturday I was done and home from running by 8:30.  Went and had breakfast with the swim team, was done by 11.  Decided to go and swap out cell phones (work is cancelling the company phone service and has asked everyone to migrate their number to a personal account and then we have to expense our bill every month - fun!).  Then I took a nap.  Sunday I got up early, did a brick (a very pathetic brick - my leg is unhappy again).  Then home for a nap and Super Mario Galaxy 2.  All afternoon and part of the evening.  Last night was better spent watching some people go for the Guinness Book of Records entry in the largest rice krispy treat. And all weekend long I've been obsessively checking message boards for reports of water temperatures and predicted winds for race day.

I should have been spending my time looking over my wetsuit, making sure there were no tears, getting all my race stuff in order and even packed.  Should have spent time figuring out how to take my bike apart and practice it.

I think the reason I didn't do any of this is that maybe I don't want Boise to happen quite yet.  Don't get me wrong, I'm physically and mentally prepared.  I've been training hard.  But I think the deal is that once I pack, then that makes the race real.  And quickly approaching.  Almost like its been so fun training and talking about it, but I'm not really convinced that the race itself will be fun.  Honestly, I'm most scared of the bike.  They changed the course and its a bit easier (no more short spikey hills on the profile, now there's just ~5 hills, one of which is steep but the rest seem ok).  And I'm afraid of the things I can't control (wind, hills).  So, if I don't pack, that means the race isn't here, and I don't have to worry quite so much.  Something like that.  There's just something about packing that makes things tangible and real.

But like it or not, the race is here and tonight I have to pack.  Everything.  I just hope I don't forget anything.

No comments: