Thursday, March 29, 2012

More spring

We have a daffodil!
so cheerful!
It still boggles my mind that people lived in our house for 15 years and never bothered to plant any flowers.  Who does that?!?!  Bulbs are so easy.  Honestly, I think it took us maybe an hour to plant everything last fall.  And then all you do is sit back and watch the show.

Green things are slowly poking up from the ground.  I've made it a habit to wander through the back yard every 2 days or so, investigating progress and looking for new green things.  Its also been entertaining trying to figure out what I planted and where.  Notes or a map or something would have been helpful, but this has been kind of fun.

The garlic has been going bonkers.  The stalks are now about the diameter of green onions.  Here's a not very good side-by-side comparison photo of the growth in the past 2 weeks.

It would help if I managed to shoot things for useful reference.  Still, you get the idea.  The bunnies have stayed away from these, I wonder why?
We now have tulips coming up along with one hyacinth (that a bunny ate a good chunk of) and a mystery bulb.  I think the mystery bulb is an allium, but I had 6 of these bulbs and I only see one of them so far.  Of course, I don't remember where I planted any of them.
mystery bulb - the flower looks a bit strange... kinda like an onion flower.

tulips

the bunny ate the top clean off this one.  I think its a big hyacinth.  maybe.  stupid bunny
The grape hyacinths are poking up all over the yard and, in one spot, they have started blooming.  My mom suggesed these because they're inexpensive and they spread pretty quickly.  I think I got 100 of them for $20.  Pretty sure I planted them in groups of 20, but I can't quite remember.
aren't they cute?
I've started to plant my long-lead time seeds indoors.  Tomatoes (for a friend), peppers and eggplants.  I think this weekend I'll start herbs and some other things that get planted mid-May.  Although, if things stay as warm as they have been, I suspect they'll get planted much earlier than May.

Gardening is so cool. :)

No comments: