Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Recipe: cole slaw

I've been looking for some cheap and easy side dishes for the summer.  Cole slaw is great because its cheap and one cabbage makes a TON of food.  Added bonus: you don't actually have to heat anything.

This is a paleo-version of cole slaw.  I make my own mayo and add herbs to it to make it a bit more zippy.



Equipment
Mandoline (I love this one - and its CHEAP!).  If you don't have one, use a knife
blender or food processor for the dressing
big bowl

Ingredients
SLAW:
1/2 a cabbage
1 red pepper
red onion (as much as you like)
cilantro (optional, but I loves me some cilantro)
salt

DRESSING:
mayo
herbs of your choice - I do a mexican/zippy dressing, so I use cilantro, garlic, and green onion
1 lime - grated zest and juice
Alternate: you could just buy some salad dressing of your choosing or buy mayo and doctor it at home

Directions
Make this mayo (I promise its not hard and you'll be amazed at how easy mayo is to make yourself)
Once the mayo is emulsified, add herbs of your choosing (I did garlic, cilantro, green onion, lime zest and lime juice, and some salt) to the food processor and blend until the green stuff has turned into specs.
Set aside

Slice your cabbage and red pepper fairly fine (1/4-inch thick?)
Slice your red onion even thinner (or thicker if you prefer big chunks of onion - I do not and like paper thin slices)
Chop cilantro

Place everything into a bowl and mix.  I find that, while messy, your hands do the most effective job.

This usually makes enough for 2 people (as a side dish) for ~3 nights.

Chill and enjoy!

No comments: