Monday, July 28, 2014

Taper Blahs

I don't know what it is, but I am so. over. swimbikerun.  I really don't remember feeling this way for my other two Ironman races.  IMTX was my first and I was nervous/excited.  IMCDA was my second and I was excited and ready to have a great day.  This year, I'm just a big old shell of blah.

I think that the main reasons for this are:

  • I'm not scared of this race.  Its not the hardest thing I've ever done.  Apparently I need scary to get excited.
  • Its hot.  I got snowed on while training for IMTX.  And IMCDA was in late June, so it wasn't really that hot.  I really do not like the heat.  It just sucks the life out of me.  And IM Boulder will be hot.  So to prepare, I've been purposely training in the heat.  And to make things even more "fun" I've been cruising around town with my windows rolled up and my AC off, for even more "heat".  I have been purposely roasting myself for 2 months, all for race prep.  Yuck.
  • Its hot.  That warrants a second mention.  I just do not get excited to be out in the heat. 
Its 6 days before IM Boulder.  I haven't even begun to go through my gear.  Its almost like if I start laying it out, I'm admitting that the race is here.  I'm not sure I want to the race to be here, but I'm pretty sure I want the training to be over.

See, blah!

I have had little twinges of excitement here and there.  Every once in a while, usually while riding my bike, I get a flashback of CDA and the residual excitement from that incredible day.  Today the butterflies have started up a tiny bit.

I've put in the training and I'm ready.  Now my job is just to rest up, pack up my gear, and crush it.  Hopefully.

1 comment:

erin said...

You ARE ready! Hope the rest of taper week is going well! It's gonna be a good day, heat or not! You GET to race an IM :) Good luck, Erin!